dirtyhoes

Idiosyncratic veg growing in the vicar's garden AND in an allotment in the village. A "how not to" guide...

Thursday, May 04, 2006

A Tale of Two Compost Heaps

When we took over the garde, we inherited two piles of what can only loosely be described as compost. A couple of weeks ago, Julia and I did some compost redistribution (which is like income redistribution but more crumbly) and emptied the useable compost out of one of the heaps. Last weekend was the turn of the second heap. The evil grass-slime was both grassy and slimy, and looked like this:



By the time Rob and I had finished with it, having moved it from heap two to heap one and added plenty of shredded newspaper and compost activator, it looked more like this:





It's now covered up and starting to heat up nicely, so hopefully we've made something useful from the slime.

5 Comments:

At 2:51 pm, Blogger Amy said...

Did you add worms? Lots of them? That helps the process.

 
At 5:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, but there were loads of the slimy little compost makers in heap one already, which I think is a good thing.

 
At 8:05 am, Blogger DaveP said...

You don't need compost activator - just pee on it!

 
At 1:58 pm, Blogger Mad said...

Peeing in the vicar's garden is not something I had on my "to do" list. Besides, it's a bloody big compost heap and would take one hell of a lot of wee! :-)

 
At 1:17 pm, Blogger Amy said...

One of my close relatives, (I will let you guess who and is not my mother) when she is at home alone wee's into a pot and then empties it onto the compost heap.

I think me mum has 3 heaps running at the moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home