Idiosyncratic veg growing in the vicar's garden AND in an allotment in the village. A "how not to" guide...

Sunday, April 22, 2007

It's starting to look a little like a garden again!

We've been at the vicar's this morning. Julia and Jerome got a pass-out today because they're off wearing out their legs in some run down in That There London. I know that the gardening/marathoning decision is a difficult one to make, but somehow I'm glad that I've got the bindweed end of the deal!

The intention was to plant another two feet of peas (in a succession-planting sort of way) and to do some general weeding around the place. We got the peas in no bother, although there were some rogue potatoes growing in the pea bed: we obviously failed to harvest them all last year! Rob did some hardcore weeding round the fruit bushes, which are looking really very happy, although some of the blackcurrant leaves have the same raised brown patch on them that I noticed last year. Let's hope it's not serious.

I had finished weeding the legume bed and was just contemplating going home for some lunch, when I (perhaps foolishly) turned over a bit of the soil where the tomatoes will be planted. BINDWEED ROOT PAYDIRT!! It seemed that I had uncovered a veritable mine of bindweedy badness, so hopefully that will help this year's toms to grow without being strangled!

By the time we came to leave, it was all looking far better: the broad beans we planted in the soil have grown quite a bit in the last week; the transplanted broad beans are looking good; some of the first planting of peas have sprouted; and - perhaps most excitingly of all - the potatoes are starting to sprout. Hurrah!


Post a Comment

<< Home